1. A hand-holdable full-frame 500mm lens that defies conventional wisdom
The 150-500mm F5-6.7 is just 209.6mm (8.3 in) long with a maximum diameter of 93mm, an astoundingly compact size for a 500mm-class ultra-telephoto zoom for full-frame mirrorless cameras. Even when extended to the 500mm telephoto end, the lens is still remarkably compact at only 283mm (11.1 in). The lens zooms from 150mm to 500mm by rotating the zoom ring through an arc of just 75° — less than one-quarter of a turn. This feature enables rapid adjustment to the desired angle of view with minimal movement, avoiding missed opportunities and facilitating intuitive composition. TAMRON’s renowned VC mechanism also significantly improves handheld performance by counteracting camera shake.
* For APS-C mirrorless format: approximately 225-750mm equivalent zoom range.
2. Amazing high image quality despite its compact size
The optical construction features 25 elements in 16 groups. The generous and effective use of special lens elements including one XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion), five LD (Low Dispersion), and two Hybrid Aspherical lens elements thoroughly controls aberrations including axial chromatic aberrations. This 150-500mm F5-6.7 ultra-telephoto zoom lens is designed and constructed with strong emphasis on compact size and usability without compromising image quality, so users can enjoy exceptionally high resolving power across the entire image.
3. VXD AF motor provides high speed, high precision, and excellent quietness
The 150-500mm F5-6.7 features the same highly acclaimed VXD linear motor focus mechanism that was first introduced in the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056). VXD delivers extreme high-speed and high-precision movement and ensures exceedingly responsive performance. Even when shooting at the ultra-telephoto end with a focal length of 500mm, the 150-500mm F5-6.7 provides fast, comfortable and accurate focusing at all shooting distances, from near to far.
Focus tracking has been vastly improved to facilitate capturing fast-moving subjects, for example sporting events, birds and aviation photography. This ensures that those dramatic, action-packed moments are never missed, whether shooting still photos or video. Additionally, the linear motor also reduces drive noise and vibrations produced during focusing (as compared to a conventional drive system), making it ideal for shooting both still photos and video in low-noise environments.
4. TAMRON’s acclaimed Vibration Compensation delivers excellent image stabilization
The slim, compact 150-500mm F5-6.7 is equipped with TAMRON’s VC mechanism. The lens features a VC mode selection switch with three settings (Mode 1: Standard, Mode 2: Exclusively for Panning, and Mode 3: Framing Priority) so the ideal VC mode can be invoked to match shooting conditions. This functionality delivers excellent image stabilization performance, enabling efficient reduction of image blurring caused by camera shake.
5. Exciting telephoto macro focuses as close as 0.6m (23.6 in)
The 150-500mm F5-6.7 offers excellent close-up shooting capabilities for an ultra-telephoto lens. The MOD is 0.6m (23.6 in) at the 150mm end and 1.8m (70.9 in) at the 500mm telephoto end. The maximum magnification ratio at 150mm is exceptionally high at 1:3.1. Users can shoot powerful telephoto-macro images of subjects including flowers and insects while maintaining a reasonable shooting distance — closer than you can get with conventional ultra-telephoto zoom lenses.
6. Additional features for greater convenience
- Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mount with strap attachment holes included
- Lens hood with flexible, protective front portion
- New switch design for improved operability
- FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism to support greater usability
7. BBAR-G2 Coating minimizes ghosting and flare
8. Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating provide extra protection
9. Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF